Waller & Associates Post COVID-19 Supply Chain Industry Outlook – Commercial and Government Sectors
The first and foremost topic to be discussed post-COVID-19 in commercial and government sectors will be global supply chain risk assessment and mitigation strategy.
- Supply Chain Risk Assessment
- Commercial and Government sector supply chain executives will be reevaluating their perspective on the importance of global supply chain risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- The Commercial sector has generally viewed supply chain risk assessment as an administrative exercise and prioritized risk mitigation far below cost reduction and lowest landed cost of goods. This will change post COVID-19, with the C-Suite focusing more on supply chain disruption.
- The Government Sector has done a better job at developing supply chain risk mitigation strategies. Because their focus is “mission success” driven, rather than profit driven they have developed more formal risk assessment and mitigation processes to plan for “what if” scenarios. Waller & Associates has been working closely with General Dynamics IT (GDIT) Supply Chain for several years helping them hone their supply chain risk assessment process and develop strategies and it is paying off with very little disruption to their government customers in the COVID-19 pandemic. The commercial sector can learn a lot about conducting supply chain risk assessments from the government sector.
- The Global Supply Chain Institute at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (gsci.utk.edu) in conjunction with the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (cscmp.org) has already responded to with a report entitled EPIC Global Supply Chain Risk Assessment (3/2020). There will be significantly more attention and publication on not only the “What” in supply chain risk assessment, but the “How” to thoroughly conduct a risk assessment and develop global mitigation strategies.
The professionals at Waller & Associates are experts at helping our client plan, organize and conduct global supply chain risk assessments and develop risk mitigation strategies. Check out our Supply Chain Risk Services page on our website and give us a call. We want to help you make your supply chain resilient to disruption.